Amritsar - History Of Amritsar

Amritsar, Ambarsar or Ramdaspur, it is one city, with many names. The history of Amritsar goes back to the time of Indus Valley Civilization and finds its existence in the legend of Ramayana, for being the birthplace of Lavh and Kush. It was in the 16th century the city was finally linked with the teachings of Sikhism. Located in the Punjab state of India it derives its name from Amrit Sarovar, which is the holy pool around the Golden Temple. Amritsar was discovered in 1574 by Ram Das, the fourth Guru of the Sikhs, the land bought by him for a small amount of 700 rupees.

The foundation of the Darbar Sahib was laid by Guru Arjan Sahib on January 3, 1588, and by 1601, it was fully completed. Starting from April 13, 1634, till 1709 the Mogul of Patti tried to vanquish Amritsar many times. Darbar Sahib became prey to the bad intentions of Afghan army who demolished it several times. A major battle was fought where several thousand of Sikhs embraced crucifixion. Then in 1765, the shrine was re-constructed and around 1830, Ranjit Singh got interiors of the Darbar Sahib gold-plated.

In 1846, the British settled in the Lahore Darbar, and, started frequently visiting Amritsar. Under there regime Amritsar witnessed many changes as a Municipal Committee was set, the first Sikh college Khalsa College was established and the city was electrified. In September 1915, Amritsar was christened as a "Holy City" by the British government.

Plan Your Trip
Don’t Just take our word for it, we let our reviews speak for us